Skip to main content

Writing as Self Hypnosis

 I read a quote from Stephen King the other day, and I agree entirely with him. He said that performing his pre-writing ritual, breakfast, and a pot of tea allows him to access his imagination as if he were in a trance. Does it work that way for everyone? I think it does. For myself, there was a time when I had to have loud rock music playing in the room or on headphones to give me a sense of rhythm and energy. Later, I switched to classical music, and now the room is mostly quiet. Does the evolution of my process mean anything? I don’t think so. Artists change over their careers, and their process changes too.

We all have our rituals to get us in the mood. While there may be a need to sacrifice some coffee beans or alcohol or drugs, legal or illegal as long as you’re not hurting anyone or anything, do it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Reviews are Coming in for #RibbonofDreams

This is an evocative, touching book. I grew up in Tennessee just a ways down the road from the hard-luck main character, Skid, offset by just a few years. Randy O’Brien knows the 70s in the South – what’s going on, the shifting attitudes, politics, being poor, and what it’s like to be a kid who’s good at some things but not others. Through the tumult of young love, misfortune and downright unfairness, Skid struggles to do the right thing – sometimes succeeding and sometimes not – while wrestling with the wild emotion of youth and self-discovery. It all builds to a climax that breaks your heart even as it holds out a bit of hope. I recommend it.

The Dan Harmon Story Circle

The Harmon Story Circle Have you ever wanted to write an enthralling story that captures the imagination of the audience? Here’s some helpful information about the Harmon Story Circle. Developed by Dan Harmon, the creator of television's Rick and Morty and Community, the Harmon Story Circle is a powerful tool for narrative storytelling. In this blog post, we will discuss how to develop engaging narratives through characters and plot structures and the benefits of using the Harmon Story Circle. By the end of this post, you will have a better understanding of the Harmon Story Circle and how it can help you create captivating stories. A Guide To Narrative Storytelling Storytelling is one of the essential skills that you can develop as a writer. It's a skill applied in many different contexts, from personal essays to novels to movies. However, storytelling isn't easy – creating genuinely captivating stories takes practice and much finesse. That's where the Harmon Story Circ...

Bosch

A great series based on Michael Connely's novels. I just read where another series based on Bosch after serving in the LAPD is coming to IMDB tv soon. Good for them...and fans.